Monday 2 May 2016

A New Painting Underway: Surely Today?

Surely Today?  Unfinished!
Being a writer, I am drawn over and over again to bicycles in my paintings and all the emotion and memories that emerge when I am painting them. This one is a painting of an old bicycle much like the one I learned on so many years ago. It was leaning against an old mail box near the Grist Mill by Keremeos. The flowers were dancing in the breeze. It was a moment in time - frozen and still emitting a long ago yearning for a letter from a loved one or maybe the delivery of a new Katie Keene comic book or cutout set. I could imagine the summer breeze blowing through the cyclist's hair while waiting for the postman to show up - "Surely Today?"

Perhaps a nostalgic moment still exists in the past of a few although I do know many who check their phone every ten minutes with the same longing!

This picture is in that stage where I keep looking at it for nuances - a touch here, a rub out there, until the memory emerges or I finally just say "Done!"  I will re-post when it is done!


No comments:

Post a Comment